Instead of coconut milk and cream, this recipe uses coconut water and greek yoghurt to attain a similarly tasty result. The original, from DH, calls for more coconut water than listed. It's been reduced here, but it could potentially be reduced even further.
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 cup (75g) unsalted roasted cashews, chopped, to serve
- 1 cup (280g) natural greek-style yoghurt, plus extra to serve
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 1 kg chicken thighs, trimmed and chopped into 4cm pieces
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups (500mL) coconut water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- Baby spinach leaves, to serve
- Steamed brown rice, to serve
- Place the garlic, cinnamon, cardamom, onion, ginger, garam masala, cashew, yoghurt and salt in a food processor and process to a smooth paste. Place the marinade and chicken in a large bowl and mix to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add a third of the chicken, reserving the marinade, and cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until lightly charred. Set aside and repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
- Reduce the heat to low, return the chicken to the pan and add the reserved marinade, tomato, coconut water and cinnamon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Top with the coriander, chilli, spinach, extra yoghurt and cashews, and serve with rice.