I had this at afternoon tea today, and immediately asked for the recipe. When I say 'asked', I really mean 'demanded under pain of death'. Impossibly tasty. The recipe instructs to prepare the flan case up to a day before adding the filling and pears, and bake the whole thing up to 3 hours before serving. Serve with cream or ice cream.
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 90g butter
- 3 tbsp castor sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 125g butter
- 1/3 cup castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 3 pears, peeled, cored, quartered
- 2 tbsp apricot jam
- Combine all ingredients in a processor, process until combined.
- Remove to a lightly floured surface and knead into a smooth ball. Cover, refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Cream butter and sugar together until just combined, add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in almonds and flour.
- Roll pastry large enough to line a 23cm flan tin.
- Spread filling into pastry case, place pear quarters over filling.
- Place in moderate oven for 35 minutes or till golden brown.
- Brush with warmed, sieved apricot jam.