Yummy use for silverbeet and fennel. A hearty winter meal.
- 2/3 cup plain flour
- 600g chicken thighs cut into 2.5 cm pieces
- 2 tbs oil
- 125g butter split into 75g and 50g (use 50g with onion & garlic, rest with potatoes)
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 300g silverbeet - stems finely chopped, leaves roughly chopped (use stems first, then leaves later)
- 1 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, ground
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 60g finely grated Parmesan, divided into thirds.
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 kg potatoes, peeled, chopped
- 1/3 cup milk
- Season flour with salt and pepper and use to coat chicken.
- Heat oil in a large, deep fry pan over medium heat. Cook chicken in batches for 2 minutes each side until browned. Remove chicken and drain on paper towel.
- Add 50g butter, garlic, onion, silverbeet stems, fresh fennel and ground fennel and cook for 5 minutes until vegetables have softened.
- Add wine and bring to the boil for 1 minute.
- Add stock and bring to the boil again.
- Return chicken to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes until mixture is thick and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Turn off heat, add silverbeet leaves, 20g Parmesan and the parsley. Stir until combined and leaves have wilted.
- Season and spoon into an ovenproof dish.
- Boil potatoes until tender. Drain and mash with remaining butter, milk and 20g Parmesan.
- Spoon mash over chicken mixture and sprinkle last 20g of Parmesan over the top. Bake at 190 for 25 minutes until top is golden.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Serves: 4 - 6