It's seriously not even fair how good these are. If you're using a barbecue, use thighs instead of breasts.
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion (200g), finely chopped
- 6-8 garlic cloves, depending on size
- 2 tbsp chopped chipotle chillies in adobo
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (70g) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250mL) malt vinegar
- 120g caster sugar
- 2 mangoes, flesh cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 avocado, flesh cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lime, plus extra wedges to serve
- 1 cup finely chopped coriander, plus extra leaves to serve
Chicken and Seasoning
- 500g chicken breast, halved length and width ways
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 1/2 cups (250g) grated mozzarella
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add chipotle, tomato, paste, vinegar, sugar, 1 cup (250mL) water and 2 tsp salt. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until reduced and thickened. Cool. If not using immediately, transfer to a sterilised jar, seal, and store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Heat a barbecue or grill plate to medium-high. Combine oil, cumin, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne pepper in a plastic bag. Add chicken, shake to season. In batches, grill the chicken, and keep it warm in the oven until required.
- In a medium bowl, combine mango, avocado, chilli, lime juice and coriander. Set aside. remove the chicken from the oven, slice into 5mm thick pieces.
- In a toasted sandwich maker/on a barbecue/in a grill pan: spread half the tortilla with the relish, follow with chicken, then mozzarella. Sandwich with the remaining tortillas, and cook, pressing down (in batches if necessary) , for 2 minutes each side.
- Cut quesadillas into quarters and serve with mango salsa, extra coriander, and lime wedges.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour