Remarkable ease-to-tasty ratio. Good for a weeknight, and cheap, to boot!
- 2 x 450g eggplant, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3cm piece ginger, finely grated
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tbs ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400ml can coconut milk
- Mint and coriander leaves to serve
- Serve with steamed rice and a green vegetable
- Place eggplant in a colander set over a bowl and sprinkle with 2 tbs salt. Set aside for 30 minutes to drain. Rinse under cold running water and pat dry with paper towel.
- Place a deep fry-pan over high heat, and add a little oil. In 2 batches, cook eggplant, stirring, for 4–5 minutes until golden, then set aside.
- Add oil to pan and reduce heat to medium-low. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring for 3–4 minutes until softened.
- Add ginger and ground spices, and cook for a further 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Return eggplant to pan with tomato and 360ml coconut milk, and cook for 30 minutes or until eggplant is soft. Season.
- Serve with steamed rice, drizzled with remaining 2 tbs coconut milk and fresh herbs.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins