Thai-style grilled pork on skewers. From Kylie Kwong's "It Tastes Better".
- 500 g pork fillet, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1 medium-sized white onion, roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup (125 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 25 g freshly grated coconut, or unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt flakes
- Pound lemongrass, onion, garlic, and lime zest to a paste using a portar and pestle. Stir in turmeric and olive oil.
- Transfer paste to a glass or ceramic bowl large enough to hold the pork, then add coconut, sugar, and salt, mixing well.
- Add pork fillet to marinade and coat well. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to marinate for 1 hour (overnight if possible). Meanwhile, soak 12 bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to hot. Thread pork cubes onto bamboo skewers and grill for 4 minutes on each side, turning frequently and basting with the marinade as they cook.
- Serve with Salty and Spicy Dipping Sauce.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 30 mins