- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 spring onions, white and green parts thinly sliced, separated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g pork neck, cut across the grain into 3mm-thick slices
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
Vermicelli Noodle Salad
- 250g vermicelli noodles, cooked according to packet instructions
- 1/2 bunch mint, leaves roughly sliced
- 5 perilla leaves (from Asian greengrocers - substitute with betel leaves), roughly sliced
- 1/2 bunch Vietnamese mint, leaves picked, roughly chopped
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, halved lengthways, sliced thinly
- 1 carrot, cut into long matchsticks
- 2 cups beansprouts
- 1/2 cup Nuoc Cham
- 1/3 cup Spring Onion Oil
- Fried shallots and roasted peanuts to serves
- Place sugar, fish sauce, honey and pepper in a bowl and stir to dissolve sugar.
- Using a mortar and pestle, pound white parts of spring onions to a paste. Add to honey mixture with garlic, pork and oil, tossing to combine. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to marinate.
- Meanwhile, soak bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes to prevent scorching.
- Thread marinated pork onto skewers, discarding remaining marinade.
- Heat a chargrill pan or barbecue to medium-high heat. Working in batches if necessary, cook the pork skewers for 1-2 minutes each side until browned and cooked through.
- Divide the noodles among serving bowls. Top with the herbs, cucumber, carrot and bean sprouts, then add pork skewers. Drizzle over the nuoc cham and spring onion oil. Spring with fried shallots, crushed peanuts and green parts of spring onion to serve.
Preparation time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes