A spicy and sour soup, this can be served with either chicken (as in the recipe) or dumplings. If using dumplings, you can cook them separately and then add them to the soup just before serving.
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3-4 stalks coriander
- 1 cup finely chopped chicken
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small can bamboo shoots
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 2 1/2 tbsp cornflour
- 5 tbsp cold water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar (more to taste)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 dried chilli, ground in a mortar and pestle
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 2-3 spring onions
- Bring stock to the boil in a large pot. Add the chicken, ginger and coriander. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and bamboo shoots.
- Stir the cornflour and cold water together, blend thoroughly and add to the simmering soup, stirring constantly till it boils and clears.
- Dribble in the beaten egg, stirring constantly so that it sets in fine shreds.
- Remove soup from heat, add remaining ingredients.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes