Cut down on dishes and put these two lovers in the same pan, instead of serving them separately. They're made for each other. Don't forget the sour cream before the polenta... It's a regret-generator.
Smoky Chilli Pork
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 kg boneless pork neck, trimmed and cut into 8 pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tsps ground coriander
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dutch cocoa
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups (750ml) chicken stock
- 200g can chipotle chillies in adobo sauce
- ¼ cup (45g) brown sugar
- 400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 250g tub sour cream
- 2 cups (340g) instant polenta
- ¾ cup (110g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1½ tsps baking powder
- 1½ cups (375ml) buttermilk
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 60g unsalted butter, melted
Smoky Chilli Pork
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based ovenproof saucepan. Add the pork, in 2 batches, and cook, turning, for 6–8 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, paprika, coriander and cumin and cook for a further minute.
- Return the pork to the pan, add the tomatoes, stock, chipotle chillies and sauce, cocoa, sugar, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and place in the oven. Cook for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly. Shred the meat, using 2 forks, and place in a 34cm x 27cm deep roasting dish.
- Add the black beans and mix to combine. Spoon over the sour cream. Increase oven temperature to 200°C.
- Place the polenta, flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the buttermilk, eggs and butter and mix to combine. Spoon the polenta mixture over the pork mixture, and place the dish on a baking ray.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until golden and the cornbread topping is cooked through.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 2 hrs 45 mins