From Donna's 'Basics to Brilliance', this is the base recipe for the Pulled Pork Tacos. The sauce has a little bit of a bite to it, so if you're catering for some... sensitive... types, keep some aside before you return it to the sauce.
- 1 tbsp EVOO
- 1 kg boneless pork shoulder, rind removed and trimmed
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 cup (250mL) tomato passata
- 1 cup (250mL) beef stock
- 1 cup (250mL) water
- 1 cup (250mL) bourbon or dark rum
- 1/4 cup (60mL) malt vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60mL) maple syrup
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 dried ancho chillies, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- Preheat oven to 180ºC
- Heat the oil in a large, ovenproof, heavy-based saucepan over high heat. Sprinkle the pork with salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes each side or until well-browned.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and transfer to the oven. Cook for 90 minutes.
- Turn the pork over, return to the oven and cook, covered, for a further 90 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove the pork from the sauce and place on a tray. Using two forks, shred the meat and discard any fat.
- Return the pork to the sauce to serve.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 3.5 hours