A very simple, but delicious smoky sauce. The chicken requires a little longer in the BBQ to be cooked through. Serve with roasted vegetables, or slaw.
- 1 x 1.8kg chicken, butterflied
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Smoky Texan Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ (60ml) maple syrup
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp chipotle chili powder
- 2 tbsps Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups (560g) tomato puree
- 2 tbsp malt vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Preheat the barbecue to high heat. To make the smoky Texan sauce, place the garlic, maple, paprika, cayenne, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, vinegar and mustard in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes or until thickened. Set aside.
- Rub the chicken with the oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Reduce to medium heat and cook the chicken, skin-side down, for 12 minutes.
- Turn over, brush with ½ cup of the sauce and cook, covered, for a further 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Turn again and cook for 2 minutes or until the skin is charred and caramelised.
- Set aside to rest for 5 minutes. Serve with the remaining sauce.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins