A perfect summer meal, this is a great alternative to a wrap. The corn makes it, so don't leave it out. The original recipe, found at http://bit.ly/1WjxPYv, calls for pickled chillies, instead of fresh ones. It's really up to you, and what you have on hand. Live your life, y'know?
- 1 chicken breast
- 2 chipotle chillies in adobo
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 lime
- sea salt
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 little gem lettuces, washed and torn
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2 corn cobs
For the pico de gallo:
- 1 tomato
- 4 pickled chillies/whatever about of fresh chillies you want (start with 1 long red)
- ½ small red onion
- ½ bunch coriander, to make about ½ cup chopped
- 1 lime
- Slice the chicken breast in half horizontally, so you have two thin escalopes. Place them into a small bowl. Finely chop the chillies in adobo, and add them to the chicken, along with the juice of your lime, the spices and a big pinch of salt. Toss around to coat, and set aside to marinade for around 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the pico de gallo. Remove the watery seeds from the tomato, and finely dice the flesh (nb. feel free to just chop the tomoatoes, and keep the seeds. See aforementioned note regarding living best life). Chop the chillies, onion and coriander into fine dice, about the same size as your tomato pieces. Place everything in the bowl and squeeze over the lime juice. Stir and set aside.
- Heat a cast iron pan (or your barbecue) over a medium heat, and when it's hot, add the corn, grilling till lightly charred, then add the chicken. Cook for around 5 minutes a side, or until charred on the oustide, and cooked through. While it's cooking, slice the kernels from the corn. Set chicken aside to rest for 5 minutes, and then slice into strips.
- To assemble your salad, build a bowl with brown rice at the bottom, followed by a pile of cherry tomato halves, a mound of lettuce, some sliced avocado, corn, as much chicken as you want, plenty of pico de gallo and a spoonful of sour cream.
- Toss with your fork and then eat!