This spicy concoction may be known as Tuscan wedding soup, but it's light and healthy enough to eat every day of the week. From Delicious, July 2015.
- ¼ cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 125g flat pancetta, rind removed, chopped
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1.5L (6 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 desiree potatoes, peeled, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 small rind parmesan (optional), plus extra grated parmesan to serve
- ¾ cup (165g) risoni
- ½ bunch cavolo nero (Tuscan black cabbage), trimmed, stalks removed, roughly chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, garlic, pancetta and chilli, and cook for 1-2 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add stock, potatoes, beans, tomato paste and parmesan rind, adding a little extra water to cover if necessary. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes or until potatoes are par-cooked.
- Add the risoni and cook for a further 5 minutes, then add the cavolo nero, and cook for 5 minutes or until pasta is al dente and cabbage is tender. Discard parmesan rind and season.
- 2 Ladle soup into serving bowls. Top with grated parmesan and drizzle with a little oil to serve.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins