Though this needs no introductions, this is a particular winner because of its lighter texture. Another winner from Our Lady Donna.
- 1 1/2 cup (210g) chopped pitted dates
- 1 cup (250mL) boiling water
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 100g butter, chopped
- 3/4 (135g) brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- double cream
- 150g butter, chopped
- 1 cup (250mL) single pouring cream
- 1 1/2 cup (265g) brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Place the dates, water and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Place the date mixture in the bowl of a food processor with the butter and sugar and process until well combined.
- Add the eggs and flour and process until just combined. Pour into a lightly greased 26cm x 16cm tin lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Cut into squares.
- To make the toffee sauce, place butter, cream and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until butter is melted. Bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- Spoon over puddings and top with cream.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes