A good spicy-sour broth, served with plenty of vegetables.
- 2 x 180g chicken breasts
- 1 tbs sunflower oil, plus extra to brush
- 200g vermicelli noodles, cooked according to packet instructions
- 1 bunch of broccolini
- 3 bunches of baby bok-choy
- Thinly sliced long red chilli, sliced spring onions, sliced chives and mint leaves, to serve
Turmeric spice paste
- 1 tbs finely grated galangal
- 1½ tbs finely grated turmeric
- 2 small red chillies, chopped
- 6 candlenuts (hard, oily tropical nut – from Herbie’s Spices) or 12 macadamias
- 3 lemongrass stalks (inner core only), finely grated
- 6 red (Asian) eschalots, chopped
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbs each sunflower and sesame oil
Turmeric lemongrass broth
- 1.5L (6 cups) chicken stock
- 1L (4 cups) hot water
- 1½ tbs tamarind puree
- ¼ cup (60ml) fish sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbs palm sugar, grated
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- ½ tsp freshly ground white pepper
- For the spice paste, whiz all ingredients in a food processor until a paste.
- Slice chicken breasts into thin fillets. Rub 2 tbs spice paste into chicken. Chill for 1 hour.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add remaining spice paste and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes until fragrant.
- Add all the broth ingredients, except the pepper, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Strain, discarding solids. When ready to serve, add 1L of water to broth, and reheat in a clean saucepan and stir through pepper.
- Steam or blanch green vegetables, and add to broth.
- Preheat oven to 180°C, and prepare a foiled oven tray.
- Brush a chargrill pan with oil and place over high heat. Grill chicken for 2 minutes each side or until cooked through. Place grilled chicken in oven to cook through.
- Cut chicken into thin strips. Divide noodles and broth among bowls. Top with chicken, chilli, spring onion, chives and mint to serve.
Preparation time: 1 hour 30 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins