Quick and delicious vegetarian curry.
- 2tbs sunflower oil
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 12 fresh curry leaves
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cm piece of ginger, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tsp mild curry powder
- 4 cardamon pods, lightly bruised
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 165 ml coconut milk
- 2 cans cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 250 g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tsp sugar
- juice of one lime
- 2 tbs chopped coriander leaves, plus extra for garnish
- Basmati rice and roti or naan bread to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and cook for 30 seconds until they start to pop.
- Add the curry leaves and onion and cook, stirring for 3 - 5 minutes until onion is soft
- Add the ginger, garlic, curry powder, cardamon and dry spices and cook, stirring until fragrant (1 - 2 minutes).
- Add the coconut milk and 200 ml water and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 - 5 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Add the beans, tomato, sugar and lime juice and simmer for 2 - 3 minutes until tomato has softened slightly.
- Stir through the chopped coriander and serve with rice and roti or naan bread.