- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed and chopped
- 400g cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tbs lemon thyme leaves
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 L chicken stock
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- ¼ cup (20g) quinoa flakes
- 250g bunch kale, stalks removed and leaves chopped
- 3 zucchini, grated
- 1 cup (80g) finely grated parmesan
- 1 tbs finely grated lemon rind
- 250g haloumi, chopped
- 2 cups baby kale leaves
- Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the onion, garlic and fennel and cook, stirring, for 3–4 minutes, or until softened.
- Add the cauliflower, thyme, salt and pepper, and cook for 4–5 minutes or until softened slightly. Add the stock and water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10–12 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender.
- Add the quinoa flakes and kale and cook for 3–4 minutes or until the liquid is thickened and the kale is softened.
- Remove from heat, add the zucchini, parmesan and lemon rind. Using a hand-held stick blender, blend until smooth.
- While the soup is cooking, heat the remaining oil in a small non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the haloumi and cook, stirring, for 4–5 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
- Divide the soup between bowls and top with the haloumi and baby kale, and sprinkle with pepper to serve.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins